Saturday 24 October 2009

Bridget's September

Hi all,

as per my previous posting, below is Bridget's 'September' poem.


SEPTEMBER
The Equinox marks a turning point.
September prepares for the Grand Finale,
Welcoming Autumn with strains of 'Rule Britannia'.
Bonfire smoke ascends perfumed with remnants of Summer,
Incense from a mighty Thurible.
The sun lends a golden sheen then
Paints the evening sky with sunsets.
Trees start to shut down withdrawing chlorophyll,
Enabling leaves to show colours kept secret all summer.
Birds recovered from nesting resume their songs.
Spiders spin webs and prickly gorse is softened with gossamer.
Michaelmas Daisies (Denominated to 'Asters')
Offer Bees and Butterflies a last banquet before winter.
Farmers have reclaimed the earth
Slicing the fields with ploughs and planting in anticipation.
Bits of nut shell mark the path of squirrels stripping hazel trees,
Eating some and storing for lean times ahead.
Already catkins are in place
Nature's assurance of another Spring to come.
Great.
I love the concept of the trees keeping colours secret during the summer.
Bridget has set herself the task of writing something about each month this year, and says:
'it has been interesting as I've noticed things I've missed in other yearsbeen writing a different poem for each month of the year. I'm not even sure I would call it poetry but I have enjoyed playing with it so I enclose bits for August and September. I had a 'feel' about Lammas and the Autumn Equinox'
Reads like poetry to me!!
Fi
xx

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

great! one of the best things about the Celtic Year is that it help focus on the seasonal changes and enables being in touch wiht nature. More Bridget please!

Fi said...

Hi Lindsey

thanks for both of your comments on Bridget's work, I'm collecting them together to print out and post to Bridget anon. I did this with her work on here before and she much appreciated it.

Look forward to seeing you in November!!

Fi
xx