Tuesday 2 February 2010

Imbolc Rabbits Drum



the old cat meows and dances with a fallen leaf
trees begin to shake out their grief
hens again start to cluck and lay
whilst winter whines “but, I want to stay”

sheep stoically birth their lambs
as farmers talk up the best of rams
birds hungrily replenish weight
but winter still will not abate

cows loom and lumber through the mist
whilst winds coldly fly freezing fist
through relentless rain on sodden ground
is felt nature’s rhythm in joyous sound

staunchly snowdrops shape then show their head
robin song round old holly heralds Brigid’s tread
the cyclical battle over, the Oak King again has won
and rabbits drum in the lengthening days, the sun

Drum drum drum rabbits, louder please

Drum Drum DRUM!

Love and Light for Imbolc from Phillippe (Image) and Lindsey (inspired by Phillippe's vision) -Words

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...magic...just read this and the freezing rain has stopped and there is the faintest hint of...i think its SUN
thank you both
sally x

Anonymous said...

Thank you from me as well. I was just thinking I cant stand being trapped by this snow anymore, I'm starting to feel stagnant if you know what I mean. Your lovely poem and image have given me hope and the will to face another day
Mariexx

Lindsey said...

oh yes I know just what you mean, Pip's painting really helped me to believe and then the words just flowed and my spirits lifted, still tired of being so cold but spring is on its way, also, my snowdrops told me so!

Thanks for the kind words both of you. Lindsey XXX

lizzie g said...

Your poem evokes such fantastic images - the trees awakening, the snowdrops bringing us hope, the birds celebrating the coming of Spring with song, and that fabulous sound of rabbits drumming....thank you thank you! Lizzie G xXx

Lindsey said...

Thanks Lizzie - I've just been for a muddy/frosty walk in the woods and I heard them drumming and busily scuttling, over the sound of the snowdrops glistening and the daffs spiking through the matted undergrowth. Trees are budding and grass is creakily growing. Hurray!

Lizbeth Wilson said...

I love this so much - the image and words work so well together and i prticularly like the changing font size and use of the space. I bet it sounds great performed!!!!