Tuesday 7 December 2010

How lovely to introduce a beautiful illustrator and fellow blogger
 I asked her to share some recent work with us.
She's made me revise my thoughts about ballet
This is beautiful!
Thanks Alexi!

With early Winter upon us, I feel that there's a magic in the air that
makes me want to dance! I would love to share my recent illustrations
inspired by a "ballet" video I found on Youtube."

Polina Semionova and newspaper dancers




I didn’t realise I liked ballet so much until I stumbled upon a youtube video of Polina Semionova dancing when I was looking randomly for dance videos. It entranced me so much I had to keep playing it over and over again. I’ve been a fan of Sylvie Guillem and seen Carlos Acosta, but I’m not normally a fan of traditional ballet – it seems so unnatural to be up on pointe. I’ve changed my mind now, I’m a fan, so I’m posting this youtube video and have used it to make some sketches that I did on old newspaper. I like the texture created by the newsprint and the way that it looks transitory and transparent. But I know I haven’t done Polina justice!






Alexi
X
 
 



2 comments:

Sally Stafford said...

great post... love the sketches on newspaper the print really adds to the structure of the drawing
thanks for posting here on the celtic year Alexi.
sally x

Marie said...

The figures have an irredescent quality and the colours and movement are lovely
Marie x