Sunday 23 October 2011

Coming soon: Samhain 2011/All Hallows Eve/Hallowen

Mainly in these darkening days leading up to Samhain and a New Celtic Year we are (obsessively?) preoccupied with triskelle/triskelion/triskele (apply whichever label grabs you!) and Foggy has produced an amazing range of routed and etched triskelle in various materials. This all in response to my desire for a mould to make a low relief ceramic plaque - which is still to be made! I just had to use this aluminum version on a Samhain moon painting! Here's some detail - I see the dragon!


The triskelle represents many things: the forward motion of life; the unbroken line; land, sea and sky; maiden, mother and crone: the Otherworld, the Mortal World and the Celestial World; life, death and rebirth. 
No surprise then that spirals and triskelle have from the Neolithic to the 21st century been beautifully symbolically powerful!
From doodles on schoolbooks to scribblings on agenda, from the delights of an ammonite or a fern uncurling and the first pinch pot I ever made, even the ring I wear, spirals have been an unconscious and conscious part of my life. 
The triskelle extends and develops, shows continuity and connectivity in this amazing journey through The Wheel of Life.

Engineered precision meets primitive paint - love the contrast!  

Share your Samhain/Halloween legends, music and activities!
Love and (Moon) Light
Lindsey

5 comments:

SheilasEmbroidery said...

I love the contrasts and yes I see the dragon almost as if he is rearing up to mount or is it surmount the triskelle. This shape reminds me of all those wonderful maze carvings.

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

after enlarging...i see more than a dragon...i see all sorts of figures & images making their way to the triskelle. there's something primitive in the way your painting feels...i love it!
i too have always found myself doodling...adding spirals to my art...and staring at the moon!

Sally Stafford said...

such a fab post Lindsey and Foggy....Sheila yep I see the dragon too....Laurak I LOVE your blog, thank you for commenting here at the Celtic Year x

Lindsey said...

thanks all - now, what to do with all the other triskelle....wait 'til you see the etched glass roundel Foggy has created!

Spirally mazy moon staring!

Foggy said...

I love the contrast between precision engineering and the fluidity of the painting. It's as if the triskelion is earthbound calling to the imaginay creatures of the painting. I have been doodling Celtic spirals subconsciously all my life. Its part of the journey through the mortal and spiritual realms. More trisklelions are in Embryo. (P.S. In case you didn't know "Embryo" is a small town on the outskirts of: "Wishful Thinking".)