Monday 2 November 2009

Samhain (and Autumn Equinox!)



Happy Samhain!
I've been pruning my apple trees and making apple cake.

Last winter I helped my friend Kate prune her beautiful old apple trees. I so love the shapes of the trees, the aroma and colour of the fruit and blossom, I was inspired to make a shelf and baskets using the wood and celebrating the colour.

In September when out walking I was inspired to make a piece celebrating the abundance of blackberries. I made and embellished a 2D apron, and incorporated some of the text from Mary Oliver's poem, "Blackberries".

I'm conscious that my Apron might not really fit in with the Samhain theme, I think it's more related to Autumn Equinox, which is what I was celebrating when I began working on it.



I find gathering food from the brambles and fruit trees humbling, a reminder of the wealth in what the earth offers us.

Lizzie

First post on the Celtic Year, Lizzie...Samhain and the Autumn Equinox in one post it could start a trend!
Thank you , Sally

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

apple basket delight
purple pinny paradise

thanks Lizzie

lizzie g said...

Thank you Lindsey! It was good to meet you today and a treat to read your poetry.
Thank you
x