Thursday 30 September 2010

Derwent Dams

Here are some wonderful photos and prose from Helen, her first contribution to the blog. Welcome Helen!

The shower broke, a plumber was called – ‘3 November is the soonest I can come’…….’did I give you a date? Sorry can’t make the 3rd, next week looks better, ok the 9th’

The 9th dawned; thick fog, dismal, gloomy. The prospect of heading for the hills was unappealing but the plumber needed a dog free environment.


The higher I drove, the clearer it became until I emerged into the most perfect autumn day!

The air was pure

I wanted to fill my lungs

I greedily inhaled and felt the cleansing effect course through my veins

I wallowed in selfish solitude but wanted to share the experience

The beauty I could see

The freshness of the pine resin I could smell and taste

The all consuming silence I could hear; and

The springy earth I could feel


The calmness of the day gently warmed by the distant sun was reflected in the mirror surface of the untroubled water of the dams and I began to reflect on the blood, sweat and tears lost in the creation of this incredible feat of engineering, the loss and sacrifice of the former residents whose village was laid to rest in the hidden depths of the flooded valley, the provision of water that is taken for granted by those supplied by the dams and the almost guilty pleasure that this day had given me



Derwent Dams
Derbyshire Peak District

When I returned home, the water of the dams was again flowing through my repaired shower!


Helen

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

and the dogs look like they enjoyed that beautiful walk much better than hanging around with the plumber!

Sally Stafford said...

Welcome to the Celtic Year Helen...great post and pics...reminding me the wheel turns...and making me want to go out an enjoy an autumn walk.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures and words. Wish I was there today! Marie

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures and the prose. Beautiful! Elizabeth xxx