Thursday 23 September 2010

The Green Man's Autumn Equinox greetings



This amazing sculpture is deep in Hamsterley Forest, one of my favourite haunts, it is place of beauty, peace, wild spaces and provides wonderful walking meditation for me. I wrote the poem a few years ago now but it still reflects how I feel about walking in nature - although, these days, with more creaks and groans from both me and the forest I think.


Walking

The physicality of motion
Hips harmonically playing
Striding stretching, bending
Feeling every muscle working

The sensuality of action
Skin glowing, sliding, heart pumping
Optimum function, oxygen flooding
Pleasure centre responding

The practicality of reaction
Through thought, muscle patterning
Feet, legs, body, head all following
Mind appears aimless, meandering

The freedom of distraction
Unconsciously sorting, clearing, storing
Shoulders relaxing back straightening
Peace, balance, tranquillity affirming

The release of emotion,
Earthy walking potion
Body, soul unification
Sanctified inspiration 

I'm hoping to go and see Long Meg and her Daughters at the weekend, so watch this space!

Hugs
Lindsey

2 comments:

Sally Stafford said...

makes me want to go for a walk in my own forest of dean...thank you Lindsey

Lindsey said...

Oh the Forest of Dean, so beautiful - here's a link to photos of my walking meditation there - thanks to you Sally!http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=127728&id=715968245