Friday 20 March 2009

Equinox in Brisbane


Our intrepid Brisbane correspondent just filed this equinox report....

I tried the egg experiment, but suspect you have to not only get the day, but the time right.

Being dependant on machines it occurred to me that it might be easier to employ a seismometer – they are popular on the Pacific Rim since the tsunami. I went looking for one at work. I work for a hospital and my quest had rather disturbing results, none of which reinforced our goal of proving equilibrium around the vernal equinox.

So I grabbed a beer and looked for inspiration in the early evening. We are blessed with mountains (ok, hills) to the west. We see the sunset make its way north along the skyline as the nights close in. This is the time of the year where we loose our sunsets, I would like to tell you it was because of ancient design, but it is our neighbors exploiting the council’s relaxed rules concerning extensions.

We don’t get an autumn in Brisbane but you can tell summer is over. It is getting cool in the evenings. It’s got be 23C out here, even the mosquitoes are wearing long trousers.

Nick



No comments: