Friday 27 March 2009

Yezriel

Hi,

this is my offering for the Spring Equinox.

I have written another piece, an original fairy tale with the theme of rebirth, but I'm wanting to perform it first on a forest promenade with friends including Sally, so I don't want to post it here yet :-)

So, here's a poem for now instead ...

Fi
xx



Yezriel



She knew it was inevitable.
The fluids had dried up a decade ago.

She was just putting off that moment a little while longer.

She wasn't sure why.
Not so that the world would be more ready for her,
because that would never happen,
not even if she waited another thousand years

to add to the fifteen that she'd already spent inside the egg.

She unfolded her arms from where they were wrapped around
her scaline body,

shook her several wings, 3 at a time,

slowly, slowly, slowly stretched out a hand

and started to scratch at the shell with her nails.

2 comments:

Sally Stafford said...

LOVE the new poem Fi, but trying to figure out the title...can you give me a clue?
It made me think of Fevvers from Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter one of my all time favourite books
sally

Fi said...

Hi Sally,

When I wrote a quick first draft of this poem I'd titled it merely The Egg, but on a second draft I liked 'her inside' too much to leave her unnamed. My impression of her is that she's a creature whose been given a task, a calamitous task, changing something in the world forever.

So, I turned to my dictionary of angelswhich I picked up years ago in some second hand shop or other. I'm compelled by angelology - influenced no doubt by being raised a catholic, spending my sixth form in a convent school, spending a lot of quality time in recent years with my genealogist sister in graveyards ...

And in the dictionary I found Yezriel, one of the 70 childbed amulet angels. That's her I thought!! The name sounded dark and compelling, like what I thought of that egg-creature.

Now, I know that childbed angels are invoked at the time of childbirth (fitting in with the spring equinox theme) but I don't know yet what an amulet angel is. Nor whether Yezriel was so gendered as I've interpreted her.

But I'm evoking the artist's poetic license to re-invent Yezriel.

And btw I am deeply, deeply flattered to have evoked a sense of Carter, one of my favourite authors too!

Fabulous

Fi
xx