Saturday 18 April 2009

From Monmouth - The Return

Hi,

I'm back.
Clearly I haven't been wandering the street of Monmouth all night, although actually I know people who have, but that's a whole other set of stories.

Actually, before I leave the distractions, I must mention that I have a secret.

I've a very simple and effective way of avoiding distractions.

I turn them into 'work'.

I do this using one or more of three vital pieces of equipment

Firstly, and most commonly, is The Notebook, in which I make jottings of something I've seen, heard or thought during what would otherwise be a Distracting Activity.
For example, while in Monmouth I happened to be walking behind a young couple where she was demonstrating to him, as they walked, and with running (no pun intended) commentary, the different ways she moved so that she didn't fall out of her flip-flops. It was entertaining and illuminating. I stopped in the high street to make notes. Look for these 2 characters in a sketch some time in the future.

Secondly, the Mp3 player, and more to the point, recorder. By which I make recordings of general sound like 'In the high street', or specific like '3 seagulls on the Monnow Bridge'. Such recordings to be utilised when appropriate for sonic-inspiration or as a necessary accompaniment for a short film that I'm bound to make at some point.

Thirdly, the camera, which I use to take extract-angle shots of what my sister refers to as my 'miscellaneous architecture' images. For example, the base of the wall in between Ruby Tuesday's and what used to be Woolies. I store these images for rainy days when I'm wanting to do site-specific work but it's too wet.

And now for my WAC work ... more later ...

Fi
xx

No comments: