Thursday 11 June 2009

Biography

Inspired by Fi...here are the first festivals..more to follow
Sally x

Samhain

How do you relate to Samhain – how do you rest and refresh yourself, how has your life-path led you to this point, what are your spiritual and cultural roots, who or what do you listen or attend to for guidance, who are your mentors? Do the night-time and darkness figure in your life, inspire you; and if so, how?

Being in places that are special to me, solitude to look, listen and feel those places is deeply refreshing for me. The act of painting become a meditation (a very active and messy one!) as I reconnect with the energy of those special places. The places that inspire me are often the overlooked verges, paths, wastelands, edges of fields, neglected orchards as well as the huge open moors ....places left to their own devices...surviving and flourishing in adversity.
My maternal grandfather was Scottish, with red hair and an Irish clan surname. As a child I could barely understand a word he said...but a deeper communication has influenced my life and work.
A secondary school maths teacher opened the wonderful door of symmetry and code. A watercolour teacher prided himself on reaching me before I started painting tight photorealistic work... if I’m tempted to start fiddling with a painting I hear him saying ‘no use a much bigger brush!’.
Tarot has been a life companion for many years....particularly influential in providing a different perspective in times of darkness....perspective being something I enjoy ignoring in my work ...but strive for in my life.

Imbolc

How do you relate to Imbolc – what are you wishing to bring out in the new growth cycle ahead, what are your plans, hopes and aspirations. Do sacred waters, streams, wells and flowing waters figure in your life, inspire you; and if so, how?

Much of my work has been an attempt to paint The Summerland. The Celtic heaven. Refer to by many religions and beliefs Summerland is the place where your spirit goes to reflect and consider your life. A place of endless summer...a place of beautiful meadows, woodland and clear water.
Through this recurring theme in my work, I try to achieve an energy and spiritual balance through experimentation with colour, space, line and texture in the foreground, which contrasts to the tranquillity of the distance....perspective again!
Next year I am planning a major Summerland exhibition...touring a number of venues...my plans, hopes and aspirations reside there.
The Celtic Year blog has been a source of joy and inspiration...a chance to try new things (including writing about myself!). I have many hopes...but no plans...for its continuation.
I grew up on an island off an island, Holy Island off Anglesey. I visit and dream of Bali, Orkney and Skye...often. I live on a forest island between the rivers’ Severn and the Wye. Enough said...water or islands specifically definitely feature in my life now and hopes for the future.

No comments: