Thursday 30 July 2009

The Day Before LUGHNASADH

A single shadow falls

from my feet into the forest


The wind has wet weather

in its mouth


Words splinter, running away

and I chase as fast as a thought


As fast as a hand might grasp another

touch and examine- lines, scars, patterns


Whose hand then?

Writhing in my palm


Fingers washing a story onto my skin

So now I prepare to decide


What has this year produced

What notions remain


Were the moments as rich as the story

Will my bruises and cuts heal


Another feast that strikes the year in questions

Each finger a different place to follow


A valley, a curve, an edge, a health mark in every nail

All you need is glove.


Roger 30/7/09

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful start to Lughnasadh...thanks Roger. Particularly like the way it hints at the approaching end of the Celtic year....and of course anything about hands is facinating!
sally x

Lindsey said...

ah yes the glove and the hand to hold! I love the questioning and "edge".

Fi said...

Hi Roger,

I love this, it's thought-provoking (particularly the 'now I prepare to decide/What has this year produced/What notions remain, Were the moments as rich as the story) ... and I love the running metaphors of the hands (as it were) - fabulous last line, love this sudden change of mood to the humorous, but still with reflection in it.
My mostest favourite lines are - all of the lines I've mentioned above, and 'the wind has wet weather in its mouth', and 'fingers washing a story onto my skin', the last line :-)

Fi
xx