Tuesday 7 July 2009

Icelandic solstice




The image is on the site of the early "Parliament" I imagine the storyteller/musician standing on the large rock in the forground....

Word below from this website.

Some men could sing and play the harp. This made the stories all the more interesting. People called such men "skalds," and they called their songs "sagas."

Every midsummer there was a great meeting. Men from all over Iceland came to it and made laws. During the day there were rest times, when no business was going on. Then some skald would take his harp and walk to a large stone or a knoll and stand on it and begin a song of some brave deed of an old Norse hero. At the first sound of the harp and the voice, men came running from all directions, crying out:

"The skald! The skald! A saga!"

They stood about for hours and listened. They shouted applause. When the skald was tired, some other man would come up from the crowd and sing or tell a story. As the skald stepped down from his high position, some rich man would rush up to him and say:

"Come and spend next winter at my house. Our ears are thirsty for song."

So the best skalds traveled much and visited many people. Their songs made them welcome everywhere. They were always honored with good seats at a feast. They were given many rich gifts.

Ian of Gort

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

skalding....sounds like a job for the Bard of Lydbrook.
Beautiful colours and image Ian.
Sally x

Fi said...

Hi Ian,
this is a gorgeous image. I do love your melding of photography and painting (I've been reading your descriptors in the recent art festivals literature!) This Icelandic image maintains the vibrancy that I admire in all of your images.

Oh, and the skalding idea - the mix of storytelling and parliamentary business - I so think that's what we need in this country.

It occurred to me too that I have never seen a man playing the harp ... maybe I need to travel more ... but your commentary has set me drafting a new tale

Hopefully we'll get to meet in person one day Ian! I'm not completely sure you're not a rural myth {and I know, double negatives here, I'm off-duty LOL!}

Fi of Duir
Apparently

xx