Thursday 19 February 2009

Yule burns in some forgotten corner


Yule for me alludes to ancient festival/folklore around the time of the winter solstice incorporating fire.
The holly and ivy touch multi-memories/traditions, be it the carol, the use of these two evergreens as decorations/symbols or the Ogram alphabet Sally introduced me to. Perhaps subconsciously the yellow background (sunshine?) reflects my long held feeling that the longest day is the turning of the year towards the brighter days of Spring which reaches the conscious towards the end of January.
One of the attraction of this project is the chance to try out ideas/techniques with total freedom, while finishing this piece I stumbled across a new (to me!) technique that I fully expect to be returning to. Extra reason to get involved... come on, take your shoes off and get your feet wet!
IoG AKA Ian of Gort/Ian Gorton

2 comments:

Sally Stafford said...

Glad to see the Celtic Wheel turns down there by the Severn...all be it a different time to the rest of us. Great image, ‘specially when see at a larger size....took me a while to see the fire...despite the clue in the title...and the layering of words, intriguing.
I remember the Ogham pieces...will see if i can find a photo
Sally

Fi said...

I love this image. Beautiful combinations of rich colours, love the fire in the larger image ...

What was ... is ... the new technique? Or is it like the magician's secrets that must be kept under one's hat with the white rabbit :-)

I am most intrigued to learn more of the Ogham alphabet.

Fi
xx